Venice, The Canals and Marina Del Rey
Just south of Santa Monica is the famous LA district called Venice. The name
came from developers, residents and civic leaders lead by Abbot Kinney.
The initial plan was to be a series of interconnected canals left over from the
Marina Del Rey Project south of the Venice area. The idea was to be like a little
Venice, Italy, unfortunately things changed.
Because of world war II, the beach became
the place for events, moral boosters and
freak shows. Big stars made appearances
athletes and muscle bound body builders
showed off for the crowds as well (thus the
name "Muscle Beach" was added.
Heres present day
Venice, a place to
stroll the boardwalk,
shop, eat, browse,
work out & play.
The beach is still popular but is
known as a haven for the home-
less, hippies and gang members.
Recently the LA police dept.
setup a substation at the foot of Windward Ave. which seems to curb the un-
sightly gatherings, gang conflicts and purse snatchings.
Venice and Marina Del Rey
are interconnected although
Venice is part of LA and the
marina is unincorporated LA
Marina Del Rey in Spanish means "The King's Harbor" so named by the sailing
fleet sent by King Carlos of Spain as they found safe harbor here in the later
half of the 1700's.
For a period of time the LA
fishing fleet was located here,
now relocated down in LA
harbor. Many of the old sea-
food factories have been
converted into restaurants,
shops and offices. Some of
this area is called the Fisher-
man's Village of the marina.